Five Signs Pot Is Going Mainstream
The era of cannabis is upon us. For those of us who have been involved with cannabis culture it seems as though it is long overdue. For those who have not, they are curious.
Here are five signs that marijuana is truly going mainstream.
- It's Legal – Well not entirely, but every day more and more US states are choosing to legalize, while Canada has gone all-in on legalization slated for next year. When the same lawmakers who have hid behind prohibition for decades are starting to come around, you know the gig is up. Marijuana means big money and the sharks can smell the blood in the water. Who cares what the motivation is, it is happening and fast.
- It's On TV – Netflix, HBO, Amazon and Sony all have marijuana themed TV shows in the works. Years ago shows like Weeds came along and grossly misrepresented cannabis culture, doing nothing more than perpetuating stereotypes. New attitudes towards everybody's little green friend are sure to result in shows that more adequately represent the average cannabis enthusiast. Society has a way of expressing beliefs through mediums like television and movies, and the new wave of cannabis entertainment is no different.
- The Polls Are In – Just last month, the most recent Gallup Poll in the US showed that more than 60% of those asked supported the legalization of marijuana. That is the highest number reported in the US in almost 50 years. Use by adults has risen by nearly 40% since 2002. Those who reportedly saw marijuana as a risk also dropped significantly over the same period, from over 50% to just over 30%. Reports in Canada are just as promising with some polls showing a 70% approval rating.
- Disruption Of Pharmaceutical Companies – Medical marijuana has grown by exponential levels since the first programs went into place. The one special interest that has a vested interest in prohibition is the drug lobby. Since medical marijuana has spread, pharmaceutical companies are seeing profits drop across the board, leaving them scrambling to formulate a plan. Some drug companies are choosing to fight legalization, while others are working to create synthetic versions of THC. The panic that has set in throughout this sector is some of the strongest proof that cannabis has gone mainstream.
- Cannabis Stocks Are A Boom – The US has its own Marijuana Index, which is a home to some of the bigger US cannabis companies. Canada took cannabis investing a step further with publicly traded stock on the Toronto Stock Exchange. There is even an ETF investment fund making entry into the market easy for anyone. One look at cannabis stock prices over the last year and it becomes evident we're in the middle of a gold rush.
Cannabis has an allure to it that even most cannabis connoisseurs can't put their finger on. Social acceptance of marijuana for not only medical use, but recreational consumption is growing. When you look around at what is happening with marijuana around the world, it is clear that the tide has finally turned. Posted: Tuesday, May 9th, 4:25am a year ago
Written By: Cory Hughes
Cory Hughes is a former police officer turned cannabis cultivator and writer. After years of being on the wrong side of the law, Cory decided to hang up his badge and gun and move into an industry that truly has the potential of bringing people together. He has been an active part of the Colorado cannabis culture and has worked as a horticulturist in dozens of licensed grow operations. Cory now looks to share his knowledge of cultivation and horticulture with the world.